Sunday, February 22, 2015

ART QUILT GROUP: Complementary Color Challenge

expect nothing, appreciate everything...

I count my self very lucky to have a group of textile artists in my town that are as passionate about making things as I am AND I really appreciate this group.

If you have been following my blog, you will remember that my Art Quilt Group had a crayon challenge last year where we would randomly select three crayons out of a box of 64 Crayolas and create a 12 x 12 art quilt using just these three colors.

This year we have chosen to diversify our monthly challenges; for the month of February, our challenge was to use complementary colors.  Below are the results:

First up is Diane being inspired from a class she took from Gwen Marston.  I didn't get a get photo of it, but her binding is yellow halfway around and purple the rest of the way- it was very cool!

This is Doha's; she is off to a great start, but tells us that a big knitting project has been the priority for her this month.
Jackie created this wonderful feather stamp from etching on a Styrofoam plate; I love the movement of the hand stitching.

This piece was created by Jenny; this is her first attempt at beading and I must say she is definitely got the knack for it!

June has taken her hand-dyed indigo fabric and coupled it with burst of orange.  Her binding is sari ribbon and yarn twisted then stitched on.


Mary also used a Styrofoam plate, but stamped with bleach to get the effect of a stone rubbing.  It really stunning!


Lastly, this is mine.  I decided to do a modern quilt; I am pleased with the outcome.
In March, we are working with usual materials...the material we are using are netting bags that hold fruits and vegetables in the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment